Wednesday, June 17, 2009

blind refined

A popular exercise among beginning art classes is blind contour drawing. There are several variations of this practice, but the main object is to draw while only looking at your subject, not at the paper. Usually, the result is an incoherent rendering, but with lots of practice and some luck, I've found that this frustrating exercise can produce beautiful organic lines and charming caricatures. So, although I hated blind contour when I was in school, I find myself still using it today when I feel a need to get back to basics. Below are some recent digital drawings followed by the blind contour drawings that inspired them.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm attempting to make commenting easier by allowing you to do so without signing in or filling out word verification. This leads to a lot of SPAM, though, so please leave me some feedback to make sifting through all the junk worth it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...