Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Gesture Drawings

Gesture drawings are quick (usually a minute or less) drawings meant to capture the entire subject and energy of a pose, instead of focusing on small details or proper proportions. I use gesture often to either loosen up before drawing or as the beginning of a longer drawing. Today in my figure drawing class we focused entirely on gesture drawings and did some crazy variations of the exercise.

Here are some regular gesture drawings:



Then we tried blind gesture drawing, where we weren't allowed to look at the paper:




Then we tried using both hands simultaneously:




Then we used our non-dominant hand:



Lastly, here's a couple longer poses- 5 to 10 minutes:




I'm not sure if I learned anything with the crazy variations of gesture drawings, but I had fun and made a mess, and sometimes that's all art has to be about.

3 comments:

  1. I pretty much love these. Especially the non-traditional versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a great job with your non-dominant hand!

    Now I have to try that. Man, I haven't truly sketched in years! What's stopping me?

    Doodling I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love them all and their energy is fantastic!! the last one is great. they made me totally miss the living model classes I took many years ago.

    ReplyDelete

I'm attempting to make commenting easier by allowing you to do so without signing in or filling out word verification. This leads to a lot of SPAM, though, so please leave me some feedback to make sifting through all the junk worth it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...