Thursday, January 30, 2014

8 More Art Journal Spreads!

I've got 8 spreads to share again! My journal is becoming a necessary part of staying sane throughout the week.

Check out my first Art Journal post of 2014 to learn about art journaling, and my personal art journal principles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this first spread I used a resist technique with clear glaze pens and watercolor. I did some of the glaze pen drawing on raw paper, and some on top of layers of watercolor, so that the colors showing through would vary. I like this a lot, but I'm going to have to try it on nicer paper some time.


Art Journal Page by JenHoney photo pg01-6.png

 Materials: Clear glaze pen, watercolor, marker.

 Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg01d02.png

 Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg01d01-1.png
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This spread has so much going on that I wasn't able to get any detail shots because there's text everywhere
Art Journal Page by JenHoney photo pg02-1.png

Materials:Cut up gelli prints, drawing pen, white gel pen.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a bunch of white gel pens recently, so I was finally able to use a lot of my darker gelli prints for backgrounds.

Art Journal Page by JenHoney photo pg03-1.png

Materials: Cut up gelli prints, white gel pen, marker.

Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg03d01-1.png

Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg03d02-1.png

Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg03d03-1.png
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Art Journaling has been a nice way to be able to do a little painting here and there without having to get out my easel and a canvas. I think my next art journal will be all painting. I've got to get something to keep the pages from sticking together, though. This one is a little dammaged from sticking.
Art Journal Page by JenHoney photo pg05.png

Materials: gesso, paint, drawing pen.

 Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg05d01-1.png


Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg05d02-1.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This spread I worked on mostly outside of the journal and then glued it in and sponged paint around the edges to blend it into areas that it didn't cover.

Art Journal Page by JenHoney photo pg04-1.png

Materials:gelli print, markers, ink, watercolor, metallic acrylic ink splattered with a toothbrush, decoupage, my bendy border stamps, white gel pen.

Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg04d02-1.png


Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg04d01-1.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hated this spread at first. I just painted a bunch of circles to use up some paint left on my palette...but then adding black and white details on top really added something, and I think this ended up being my favorite spread of the week.

Art Journal Page by JenHoney photo pg06-1.png

Materials: acrylic paint, black marker, black drawing pen, white gel pen, magazine cutout (of the word "Friday").

 Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg06d01-1.png

Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg06d03.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My housemate bought a new printer and it came with a bunch of pieces of orange tape stuck to it. I felt silly saving pieces of used tape, but they really brought this spread together! Also, you can't tell in the scan, but the word "BRAVE" is on top of a reflective/metallic piece of paper...which was part of the packaging for some nail decals I got recently. Hooray for upcycling!

Art Journal Page by JenHoney photo pg07-1.png

Materials: Upcycled orange tape, upcycled reflective paper, upcycled tag from the deli, acrylic paint, drawing paper, my bendy border stamps, handmade square and diamond stamps, magazine cutouts, runner tape, markers, drawing pen, white gel pen.

 Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg07d01-1.png

 Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg07d03-1.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sort of in love with lime green (or chartreuse?) right now. I feel like I mixed the perfect shade of it for this spread.  Also, for the gear design I used an actual plastic gear from inside an empty roll of runner tape, and I just dipped it in paint and used it like a stamp. It didn't do a very good job, though. I bet there's some sort of...something that one could use to coat everyday opject in to make them have a rubbery surface and therefore be usable as stamps. Seems like frisket might work. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Art Journal Page by JenHoney photo pg08.png

Materials: acrylic paint, magazine cutouts, a gear used as a stamp, drawing pen, white gel pen, marker, bendy border stamps, letter stamps.

 Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg08d03.png

 Art Journal Page DETAIL by JenHoney photo pg08d01.png






5 comments:

  1. Wow! I really love your portrait...lots of journaling, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Danielle, I'm heading over to check out your blog now :)

      Delete
    2. Wow - so much eye candy in your post Jen - I am "replying" as I couldn't see a comment box. But I wanted to tell you I stopped by from AJED and the variety of your journal pages is just stunning. I coat all of my finished journal pages with Matte Medium = it keeps them from sticking.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jessica. I use Matte Medium, too, but I must use it too heavily or something, because it still sticks. I've picked up some stuff called Dorland's Wax Medium, which is supposed to work. I'll be posting about my experiments with it soon. Oh- and for future reference, Blogger doesn't make it easy to find, but there's a little "add comment" text link at the bottom (or...maybe before?) existing comments, and you can click that to get a comment box. I think it also appears if you click the title of the post to go to the post's static page.

      Delete
  2. Clear Gesso works amazingly to keep pages from sticking, and it preserves them as well. ;c)

    ReplyDelete

I'm attempting to make commenting easier by allowing you to do so without signing in or filling out word verification. This leads to a lot of SPAM, though, so please leave me some feedback to make sifting through all the junk worth it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...