Thursday, June 19, 2014

Summer of Color Week 2: Coral, Teal and White.



Summer of Color is a 6 week blog party, hosted by Kristin of Twinkle Twinkle, celebrating (you guessed it) COLOR! This is the 4th year of SOC, but my first time participating. Each week a color palette is announced as a creative prompt. This week's colors are Coral & Teal with a Smudge, Splash or Pop of Bright White

I have used this color palette to inspire me this week in a handful of different ways. First, a new painting:





Several years ago I bought a stranger's scrapbook from The Urban Ore in Berkeley, and it was full of all these gorgeous photos from a woman's tropical travels throughout the 50's-70's, but there wasn't one single photo of her. This painting is inspired by that scrapbook, and what I imagine she looked like. I call it "Palms".

Prints of this piece are available here.



Secondly, I've put together a collage of my products that fit in this color palette as a moodboard, and also as a bit of shameless self-promotion.


1. Teal Zebra Compact Mirror
2. Country Floral Baby Bib
3. Knobby Heart Flip Flops
4.Teal Zebra Minx Nail wraps
5. One Badass Mother Tee
6. Flower Girl Pinback Button
7. Customizable Coral Pet Bowl
8. Teal Zebra Wallet Phone Case
9. Navy and Coral Flourish iPhone 5 Case


Lastly, a few of my designer insider FUN FACTS!

* Here are some leftover items from the stranger's scrapbook that I mentioned. I've used most of the contents in collages and junk journal pages.



* The sample names that I use on my customizable products are often names of characters from TV shows or movies that I'm watching as I design the products. I was watching True Blood while designing the pet bowl I featured today. Here are some Thank You cards that must've been made while watching The Vampire Diaries, because the name "Ian Wesley" is a combination of the names of the actors Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley. And this Wedding Plate was designed while watching Dirty Dancing (John "Johnny" Castle and Frances "Baby" Houseman).



*Sometimes I actually go online shopping to determine what the figures in my paintings will wear. I chose these two items as inspiration for the outfit in this week's painting.



Thanks for stopping by!You can see the work of other SOC participants here.

NOTE TO MY FELLOW SOC FOLKS: I have a little issue with reading white text on black background (it gives me migraines), and I've noticed that lots of participants in this challenge have that color scheme on their blogs. So, if you've visited and commented and I haven't reciprocated, it's probably just because I can't stick around your page long enough to comment. Sorry about that!


 photo subscribeweb.png

15 comments:

  1. love how wonderfully inspired you were with these colors!
    beautiful painting and wonderful mood board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely painting. I like that you have the respect for the owner of the book to pay tribute to her.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great & I like that your inspiration is from someone's scrapbook. now I'm thinking I should do some online shopping when dressing my character's, any excuse to shop right?

    & I too, have a slight trouble reading white text on black background, I think it's because I'm nearsighted but it's also because it really is hard to read. I just think the eye is more adjusted to black on white instead of the reverse.

    visitng from SOC, hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! Especially the top one. I wish I could do my hair like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your period painting is stunning. Very mid-century modern as I would interpret it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love your lovely traveler! What a wonderful idea. Beautiful representation of this week's SOC colours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your painting and all your other bits and bobs, it must take you for ever to compile it all together. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your SOC painting is so spectacular, wonderful art, and how interesting that it was inspired by a stranger's scrapbook. I like the way you used the coral for her bangles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful painting. She has quite an attitude ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that painting. Such spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love all your work here, but that first painting is especially FABULOUS!!! Love the retro look. I am impressed and inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!! That painting is spectacular. (I just love her hair!!!!) And I really like your collage, too. You have such creative talent!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow your work is lovely :-) I love the lady in the shades!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colours look great in this painting, another great piece, you have much talent!

    ReplyDelete

I'm attempting to make commenting easier by allowing you to do so without signing in or filling out word verification. This leads to a lot of SPAM, though, so please leave me some feedback to make sifting through all the junk worth it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...