Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Walkthrough Wednesday: Awesome Afternoon





Welcome to Walkthrough Wednesday, where each Hump Day I'll be sharing the process of creating a digital art journal page. I include every time I change my mind or flub-up on something so that you can really get a sense of the whole process. You can follow along step-by-step or just read through for a little mid-week technique inspiration.

I'm working in Adobe Photoshop CS 5.1. Most of my techniques are do-able in PS Elements and GIMP as well. Here's what I'm creating:


Resources used:
I started my layout with this fun freebie paper from Jopked Designs.


Although I love the colors in this paper, I knew they wouldn't go with the colors I wanted to use, so I did as I often do with backgrounds and desaturated the page (ctrl/cmnd D).


I placed in a photo from my Instagram account. I don't normally use photos in my art journal pages, because then it becomes some art journal/scrapbook hybrid thing, and I have some weird imaginary rules in my head about that. But, today I'm breaking the rules.


I like a white border on my square photos, so I created one by making a white square and placing it on a layer underneath the photo. If you hold down the shift key while using the rectangle tool, it will keep it a perfect square. I then merged the photo and border layers together.



I wanted the photo to look bent, so I selected an area around it with the rectangular selection tool, and then applied the shear filter. A tiny tug on the point in the middle of the diagram on the adjustment menu makes a nice natural curve.



To get a realistic shadow on this curved photo, I ctrl/cmnd-clicked the thumbnail of the layer to select it, created a new layer underneath it, and filled the selection with black. Then, with the new layer selected, I flipped the black shape horizontally (edit>transform>flip horizontally), and applied a gaussian blur to it. Then I lowered the opacity of the shadow layer to 50% and linked the 2 layers so that they'd move together for future steps.



I then angled my photo into the lower left corner and placed a staple element along the edge to visually explain how that photo is attached to the page. I don't know where I got this staple element. It was in a misc. image folder, so it either found it's way out of a kit or was from some other non-scrapbooky project. Sorry about that. But, if you need some digi staples, I found a freebie here.



How it's time to get painty. Using my abstract grunge brush set I added color splotches on a new layer just above the background layer so that the paint would be mostly peeking out from behind my photo. I also added some brush marks in the opposite corner. The colors are selected straight out of my photo with the eyedropper tool.


Next I placed in this "How I Roll" graphic, which I made a few months back for t-shirts and jackets. I don't have this graphic available for sale on it's own, but here are some public domain bicycle images you could use.


I wanted this image to look more like a stamp, so I double clicked the layer thumbnail to open the smart object psb document, and then I ran the Presto! vintage action.


I saved the psb file and returned to my main document where I turned my new stamp burgundy and changed the layer's blend mode to multiply to enhance the stamped effect.


Next I typed a title for my page and applied the same effects that I just did with the "How I Roll" graphic.

Finally, I wrote my journaling, and my page was complete.



Thanks for joining me, and I hope you learned something useful!



2 comments:

  1. wow, very impressive! I'm trying to learn more about digital artjournaling but lots of these things are still a bit over my head .... Thanks so much for sharing. I love how you did that photo ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the stamp effect and the photo bending. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

I'm attempting to make commenting easier by allowing you to do so without signing in or filling out word verification. This leads to a lot of SPAM, though, so please leave me some feedback to make sifting through all the junk worth it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...