Thursday, June 11, 2015

Summer of Color 5 has begun: week 1



Summer of Color is a 6-week art party lead by Kristen of Twinkle Twinkle. I participated last year for the 4th go-round, and I had so much fun that I'm back at it again for Summer of Color 5!

The guidelines for this week's palette were to choose 2 shades of blue and 1 shade of green. I went about this systematically, like so:


Once I'd chosen my favorite trio of shades, I used them to create this painting:



It's very rare that I paint any man-made structure (i.e. buildings), and minimalism is generally not my thing, but I thought I'd try something outside my comfort bubble for this week. So, I went for a stark sky of the palest blue I chose, and some beach huts in the other 2 shades. To keep it simple, half of my painting process way actually un-painting things I had instinctively added due to my apparent allergy to simplicity.

Here's a little animation of the process:


I then went on to create this leaf pattern in the same color scheme:



I used this pattern, as well as the painting, as surface design on some fabulous goodies in my shop. Here is a sampling of my home decor products with these designs:


http://www.zazzle.com/jenhoneydesigns*





Thanks for coming by! Leave me a comment before you head off to check out the rest of the participants entries for this week.



18 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I love it - still working on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the beach huts and the repeated leaf pattern very effective. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah. I love this. Those little cabins are just awesome. Great job with this weeks colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous use of color- such a wonderful bit of summer beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the houses painting is wonderful. it's seems very simple and calming to me. I like your use of colors.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything to do with the beach so I ADORE your painting!!! Great leaf pattern too. These were the perfect colors for your art this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative! I love the pattern and how you used it! And your painting is absolutely gorgeous! What a great way to used this week's SOC colors! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love your chosen palette - and how fun to see an animation of your beach huts piece. Certainly makes me wish I could vacation there. Fabulous leaf pattern as well. Happy SOC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You went all out! Your painting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I like your simplistic creation, even though I remember you have a flair for flourish. This is really wonderful, and I like the bit of animation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those leaves - they'd make a great stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful your beach huts! I like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You picked some lovely shades! I love your painting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. great work for both works :D love the bottom image with everything in a room :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm attempting to make commenting easier by allowing you to do so without signing in or filling out word verification. This leads to a lot of SPAM, though, so please leave me some feedback to make sifting through all the junk worth it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...